1.22.2015

Parenting



There's a lot of great things about BYU-Idaho. I love the spiritual learning combined with the secular learning. I love seeing how the things I'm learning truly apply to my life, whether that means now or later.

One of my favorite classes that I'm currently taking is my parenting class. You know where you take some of those classes like Intro to Humanities or Chem 101 ( sorry for all the humanities or chem majors out there) but the thing is I'm never going to use those things in my life.....ever. I know that I'm going to use this parenting info in my life! It makes me so excited about my major and about life in general.
So recently I read this awesome article called "The Parenting Pyramid" By the Arbinger Company and I learned some great things! Pretty much as parents the first instinct is to correct the children's poor behavior, when in reality you should be evaluating if you even taught your child the appropriate principles in the first place. Does your child truly understand what you taught them? Maybe you taught them but they don't respect you. It doesn't matter how much time you spend teaching your child if  they don't respect you in the first place. Its so crucial to develop a good relationship with your child so they can trust you. A step before that is making sure your marital relationship is in good standing because of how connected the husband/wife relationship is with the parent/child relationship. And the only way you can truly have those good relationships is to evaluate yourself and  the desires in your heart. It truly comes down to this question "What are your motives?" Are you wanting to spend time with your children just to check it off the list or are you wanting to spend time with your child because of the love you have and the desire to deepen the relationship? How would you describe your "Personal Way of Being" what can you personally work on to then help the behaviors of your child?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...