8.01.2011

Lately??

Lets just say I'm happy. And very content with how my life is going. Now don't get me wrong my life isn't perfect....but it never will be, and that my friends is definitely ok. I've learned to love more, I've learned to laugh more and I've learned to forgive a lot more. Which makes things 10 times better.

Today I got to go out to lunch for my old roommates birthday. Such great friends plus such great food = a very good time. I then decided that I would run over to B&N to look for a new book. I found myself in the U.S. History section looking at books on World War 2 because I have this strange fascination for it. I then casually went over to the cooking section and looked at pages and pages of cupcake recipes, brownie recipes and cake recipes. Drooling over the pictures with chocolate. Wishing that I could buy all the cook books and go home and bake all the yummy food that instant. I then saw the self-improvement section...you know the books like "ten ways to make you're life more simple." or "how to see the good in the world." For some reason I always like browsing through these books....thinking to myself how I can try and improve in some way without buying one of the books. And then for some CRAZY reason without even thinking about it, I found myself in the PHILOSOPHY section. I don't think you realize that I had this kind of awful class my freshman year....an introduction to philosophy class and it was the only class that gave me nightmares. During that semester I decided I would rather take 100 physics classes or stats classes then ever take a philosophy class ever again. But as I was looking over the books I got excited to see things that I recognized from class. Like Kant's and Mill's view on ethics or Notes from Underground by Dostoyevsky or books on Plato, Socrates and Aristotle. And I realized I'm officially cursed...I may not ever fully understand Poetics by Aristotle or The Republic by Plato but I'm always going to have an appreciation for them. I'm always going to have an appreciation for the people who enjoy reading that literature and actually understanding it. So thank you Professor Kleiner I never thought I would say it but I appreciate philosophy. And so now I may or may not have a book of Bacon's essays on my bookshelf. And I may or may not have been sitting in B&N for two hours. But I do know that it's been a very good day so far...and its probably because I spent 1/12 of it in a bookstore :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...